Definition of lemon sole in English:
A common European flatfish of the plaice family. It is an important food fish.
- Microstomus kitt, family Pleuronectidae
- The pub offers a wide range of food from cheese sandwiches to lemon sole.
- Michael's main course of grilled lemon sole with langoustine butter was good, but not extraordinary.
- The food, though, remained a class apart, as I found when I ordered the roulade of smoked salmon and lemon sole.
Mid 19th century: lemon from French limande, of unknown origin.
Definition of lemon sole in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan