Definition of lengthen in English:
1Make or become longer: [with object]: she lengthened her stride to catch up [no object]: in the spring when the days are lengthening (as adjective lengthening) the lengthening shadows
More example sentences
- Half an hour had already passed, and the shadows lengthened as the sun sunk into the horizon.
- The shadows were just barely lengthening and Kristram looked at me in disbelief.
- Then, as the candles burnt and the shadows lengthened, we started to think about it properly.
1.1 [with object] Prosody & Phonetics Make (a vowel or syllable) long.
- It places more or less equal stress on all syllables, usually with the final syllable of a tone unit somewhat lengthened.
- As far as Sanskrit is concerned, the most important of these is that a macron above a vowel serves to lengthen it, roughly doubling the length of the sound.
- The objection here is to lengthening short vowels; this is not a feature of Koranic recitation today except in very restricted contexts.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan