Definition of lentil in English:
1A high-protein pulse that is dried and then soaked and cooked before eating. There are several varieties of lentils, including green ones and smaller orange ones, which are typically sold split.
- It was on a very savoury bed of lentils which had been cooked with bacon and winter vegetables.
- You sat on wooden benches and ate lentils and brown rice from wooden bowls.
- When the lentils are cooked, drain them well and add to the tomato sauce.
2The plant that yields lentils, native to the Mediterranean and Africa and grown also for fodder.
- Lens culinaris, family Leguminosae
- Settlements began to encourage the growth of plants such as barley and lentils and the domestication of pigs, sheep and goats.
- Analysis of pollens found in excavations suggest that the earliest vegetal species to be cultivated were pulses - wild peas, lentils, and chick peas.
Words that rhyme with lentildentil, ventil
Definition of lentil in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia