A large, gray Antarctic seal that has leopardlike spots and preys on penguins and other seals.
- Hydrurga leptonyx, family Phocidae
More example sentences
- To catch penguins, a leopard seal will lurk near the water's edge just under the surface to watch shadows on the ice above.
- Experts think the leopard seal mistook marine biologist Kirsty Brown for another seal and dragged her down beneath the icy waters.
- Although they are formidable hunters, leopard seals are solitary creatures and it is virtually unknown for them to attack humans.
Definition of leopard seal in:
- The British & World English dictionary