Definition of leopard seal in English:
A large, gray Antarctic seal that has leopardlike spots and preys on penguins and other seals.
- Hydrurga leptonyx, family Phocidae
- To catch penguins, a leopard seal will lurk near the water's edge just under the surface to watch shadows on the ice above.
- Experts think the leopard seal mistook marine biologist Kirsty Brown for another seal and dragged her down beneath the icy waters.
- Although they are formidable hunters, leopard seals are solitary creatures and it is virtually unknown for them to attack humans.
Definition of leopard seal in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan