Definition of Lepidoptera in English:
1An order of insects that comprises the butterflies and moths. They have four large scale-covered wings that bear distinctive markings, and larvae that are caterpillars.
- Butterflies and moths make up the biological order Lepidoptera.
- The insect order Lepidoptera, with as many as 100,000 species, is second only to the Coleoptera, the beetles.
- Both of these insects reside in the order Lepidoptera.
1.1 (lepidoptera) [as plural noun] Insects of the order Lepidoptera.
- Spying it on a map, I imagined meadows full of pretty winged lepidoptera.
- Defoliation by lepidoptera can induce cyanogenesis in some plants resulting in cyanide levels high enough to kill cattle.
- Small flowers and red petals suggest pollination by small diptera or lepidoptera, but the flowers do not appear to produce nectar.
- lepidopteranadjective& noun
- Example sentences
- It in fact is toxic to only a particular group of lepidopteran insects and particularly cotton bollworms.
- These include various lepidopterans and the African grasshopper, which adopt aposematic coloring as a warning.
- Big-eyed bugs are omnivorous, generalist predators and their diverse range of prey species includes aphids and lepidopteran eggs.
Modern Latin (plural), from Greek lepis, lepid- 'scale' + pteron 'wing'.
Definition of Lepidoptera in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.