- In a few decades people will look at the bigotry against gays and lesbians as medieval.
- It's encouraging that the right is less hostile to gays and lesbians than it used to be.
- He urged gay men and lesbians to make their voices heard.
adjectiveBack to top
- It shocks me that gay and lesbian relationships can still be such a divisive issue for so many people.
- The civil unions law in Vermont has proved to be good news for gay and lesbian couples.
- Not all online travel companies embrace gay and lesbian travelers.
Sappho was a Greek lyric poet of the early 7th century bc who lived on the Greek island of Lesbos (often now found in the Greek spelling Lesvos). Despite the fact that we know very little of her life, and that there is an unsupported tradition that she killed herself for love of a young man, the fragments of her poems also express her affection and admiration for women, and so people came to associate her with female homosexuality. In the late 19th century she inspired two descriptive terms, lesbian, from her island home of Lesbos, and sapphic.