1 informal Do something or proceed vigorously or without restraint: the brass sections let rip with sheer gusto
More example sentences
- Bank of England independence and the introduction of fiscal rules after 1997 told the markets that Labour would not allow inflation to let rip, and would exercise fiscal discipline.
- The giant grunted, his slow brain deciding when he would let rip and smother Glaucus in a deadly embrace.
- It is said that the losers during the last days of a battle often let rip in appallingly brutal ways.
1.1Express oneself vehemently or angrily.
- And as he was lyin' there, half dozin' and thinkin' about things, he suddenly let rip a big stale Guinness fart that rumpled the bedclothes.
- It suddenly slowed up, crackled with blue electricity and let rip with a sizzling blue column of energy, followed by the plasma being dumped from the engine, completely frying the ship's shields.
- Now he is letting rip on drugs, Labour, his new record company and the race for London mayor.
Definition of let rip in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.