Definition of let rip in English:
1 informal Do something or proceed vigorously or without restraint: the brass sections let rip with sheer gusto
More example sentences
- Bank of England independence and the introduction of fiscal rules after 1997 told the markets that Labour would not allow inflation to let rip, and would exercise fiscal discipline.
- The giant grunted, his slow brain deciding when he would let rip and smother Glaucus in a deadly embrace.
- It is said that the losers during the last days of a battle often let rip in appallingly brutal ways.
1.1Express oneself vehemently or angrily.
- And as he was lyin' there, half dozin' and thinkin' about things, he suddenly let rip a big stale Guinness fart that rumpled the bedclothes.
- It suddenly slowed up, crackled with blue electricity and let rip with a sizzling blue column of energy, followed by the plasma being dumped from the engine, completely frying the ship's shields.
- Now he is letting rip on drugs, Labour, his new record company and the race for London mayor.
Definition of let rip in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan