Definition of lettuce in English:
1A cultivated plant of the daisy family, with edible leaves that are a usual ingredient of salads. Many varieties of lettuce have been developed with a range of form, texture, and color.
- Lactuca sativa, family Compositae
- Verlaine's chine was stuffed with leeks, spring onions, lettuce, raspberry leaves, parsley, thyme and marjoram.
- At home we grow sweetcorn, beans, tomatoes, carrots, lettuce, garlic and leeks.
- In the vegetable garden, carrots, spring onions, lettuce, spinach and radishes can all be planted.
1.1Used in names of other plants with edible green leaves, e.g., lamb’s lettuce, sea lettuce.
- It came with a sauce Gribiche (a thick egg mayo type version of the caper sauce) and a salad of tender lambs' lettuce with a subtle but still distinctively walnut oil vinaigrette.
- I particularly liked the leaves of baby jem lettuce, the oven-roasted tomatoes and the black and green olives.
- An average dinner in our house is fish or baked chicken with lambs lettuce.
Definition of lettuce in:
- British & World English dictionary