Definition of leucine in English:
A hydrophobic amino acid that is a constituent of most proteins. It is an essential nutrient in the diet of vertebrates.
- Chemical formula: (CH3)2CHCH2CH(NH2)COOH
- The aspartate can be used as a precursor for the synthesis of other amino acids such as asparagine, threonine, isoleucine, leucine, valine, lysine, and methionine.
- Key essential amino acids are valine, leucine, isoleucine, tryptophan and methionine.
- In simple terms, BCAAs are made up of three amino acids: leucine, isoleucine and valine.
Early 19th century: coined in French from Greek leukos 'white' + -ine4.
Definition of leucine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.