A gray or white potassium aluminosilicate, typically found in alkali volcanic rocks.
- The three commonest feldspathoids are leucite, nepheline, and sodalite.
- Additionally, lamproites may contain leucite, richterite, sanidine, and occasionally nepheline, whereas kimberlites do not.
- Familiar examples include nepheline, leucite, and members of the sodalite and cancrinite groups.
- Example sentences
- Williams describes leucitic dike rocks in which ‘pseudoleucite’ is a most important constituent.
- The river was not visible from the hill; and in order to see it I was obliged to descend into the deep channel which it had dug out of the soft tufaceous and leucitic lava.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of leucite in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.