(British also leucocyte)
Definition of leukocyte in English:
A colorless cell that circulates in the blood and body fluids and is involved in counteracting foreign substances and disease; a white (blood) cell. There are several types, all amoeboid cells with a nucleus, including lymphocytes, granulocytes, monocytes, and macrophages.
- The myeloid lineage gives rise to the rest of the white blood cells or leukocytes, which all derive from the bone marrow in adults.
- White blood cells or leucocytes are complete cells because they contain a nucleus and other vital organelles.
- Reduction of leucocytes in red blood cell concentrates by filtration results in less alloimmunisation in patients receiving transfusions and transplants
- Example sentences
- When the history is equivocal, nasal cytology to detect the presence of eosinophils associated with allergic rhinitis or to detect the leukocytic infiltrates associated with acute bacterial or viral infections is indicated.
- The ovalbumin-treated mice, but not the control mice, displayed widespread deposition of collagen beneath the airway epithelial cell layer and in the interstitium at sites of leukocytic infiltration.
- Thus, changes in airway hyperresponsiveness between experimental groups did not result from differences in leukocytic infiltration into the lung in response to Aspergillus extract.
Definition of leukocyte in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.