Definition of levamisole in English:
A synthetic compound used as an anthelmintic drug (especially in animals) and in cancer chemotherapy.
- A polycyclic imidazole derivative; chemical formula: C11H12N2S
- We selected for mutants that were resistant to the anthelmintic drug levamisole.
- In addition, no persuasive mechanism for the assumed synergism between fluorouracil and levamisole has been found.
- Drugs assessed in these trials included albendazole, piperazine, mebendazole, levamisole, pyrantel, and tetrachlorethylene.
1960s: from levo- (it being a levorotatory isomer) + (tetra)misole, the name of an anthelmintic drug.
Definition of levamisole in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.