- A young hare in its first year.More example sentences
- Because the leverets (young rabbits) are active at birth, elaborate nests are usually not built.
- Young hares are called leverets in English until they are a year old.
- The fear is that many young ground nesting birds, such as the curlew and grouse, and mammals like the mountain hare leverets, will have been killed and damage done to the whole biodiversity of the moor.
late Middle English: from Anglo-Norman French, diminutive of levre, from Latin lepus, lepor- 'hare'.
More definitions of leveretDefinition of leveret in:
- The British & World English dictionary