(also liane /-ˈän, -ˈan/)
- 1A woody climbing plant that hangs from trees, especially in tropical rain forests.More example sentences
- Finally, this work represents part of a long-term research effort in which mechanical architectures are being investigated in terms of the evolution of architectures of trees, shrubs, lianas and procumbent growth forms.
- These features, and very different life forms ranging from trees and lianas to annuals, occur within closely related groups.
- The leaves of the understory shrubs, lianas, and sapling trees bear the unmistakable signs of damage by hungry insects.
- 1.1The free-hanging stem of a liana.More example sentences
- Tropical forest foragers fashion their own nets from lianas, and make belt pouches, baskets, and mats from grasses.
- There they climb into a series of wooden constructions three metres high, made with tree trunks lashed together with lianas like tree houses perched above the flood.
- Bunched optical fibers and acrylic light ducts draped like lianas from the ceiling, pulsing with digital information.
late 18th century: from French liane 'clematis, liana', of unknown origin.
More definitions of lianaDefinition of liana in:
- The British & World English dictionary