- An extreme laissez-faire political philosophy advocating only minimal state intervention in the lives of citizens.
The adherents of libertarianism believe that private morality is not the state’s affair and that therefore activities such as drug use and prostitution, which arguably harm no one but the participants, should not be illegal. Libertarianism shares elements with anarchism, although it is generally associated more with the political right, chiefly in the USMore example sentences
- Having said that, it is important not to exaggerate the popularity of libertarianism, or its political influence.
- On the one hand, the positive half of Kane's version of libertarianism tries to put indeterminism to work in a way that cannot be appropriated by compatibilists.
- However, changing them to fit with a certain politics would change what libertarianism is as a political philosophy.
More definitions of libertarianismDefinition of libertarianism in:
- The British & World English dictionary