Definition of lidocaine in English:
nounMedicine , chiefly North American
A synthetic compound used as a local anesthetic, e.g., for dental surgery, and in treating abnormal heart rhythms.
- An aromatic amide; chemical formula: C14H22N2O
- Two days after admission, the lidocaine and erythromycin were discontinued and a transvenous pacemaker was positioned in the right ventricular apex.
- An injectable solution of 1 percent lidocaine or 1 percent procaine is usually used.
- The surgeon, therefore, suggested that the nurse add epinephrine to the plain lidocaine rather than waiting for the medication to be ordered and arrive from the pharmacy.
1940s: from (acetani)lid(e) + -caine (from cocaine).
Definition of lidocaine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.