1(Of a responsibility or problem) be attributable to (someone): the ultimate responsibility for the violence lies with the country’s president
More example sentences
- The upgrade of roads linking Carlow town to these junctions is not regarded as part of the overall scheme, with responsibility for these roads lying with Carlow County Council should the need for their upgrade arise.
- Some blame her, some blame her adversaries on the board, while others see the responsibility as lying with all of the warring parties.
- As for contributing comments, the responsibility lies with each posting entity.
2 archaic Have sexual intercourse with.
- First, notice that this passage says absolutely nothing about a woman lying with a woman.
- He said it would be better to kill the grown women, and save just ‘the young girls who have not known man by lying with him.’
- They deflowered themselves upon the carved phalli of Hermes, Tutunus, Priapus or some other ‘anointed’ god before lying with their bridegrooms.
Definition of lie with in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.