noun (plural ligulae /-ˌlē, -ˌlī/)Entomology
- The strap-shaped terminal part of an insect’s labium, typically lobed.More example sentences
- They transport the spermatophores with a copulatory organ, called the ligula, located on the tip of one of their arms.
- This individual is a hyolithid without question because both the ligula and the dorsoventral differentiation ordinarily seen in hyoliths are clearly present.
- Conchs of the Girvan specimens match the diagnostic traits given above in terms of the ligula, aperture and ornamentation on the shell.
- More example sentences
- It has medium thick greenish yellow cane and medium long lanceolate ligular process on one side.
- The present invention relates to a hydrophilic extract predominantly composed of camomile ligular florets that may, for example, be used for liquid vaginal preparations for human females.
- By combinations of wide crosses and DNA transformation, we can now partition ligular region morphological differences to genes and gene sequence.
mid 18th century: from Latin, 'strap'.
More definitions of ligulaDefinition of ligula in:
- The British & World English dictionary