A feeling of regard or fondness: Mrs. Parsons had a liking for gin and tonic she’d taken an instant liking to Arnie’s new girlfriend
More example sentences
- A liking for birds is an ineluctable aspect of being human.
- I developed a liking for devotional songs of the Goddess from childhood.
- Hong Kong people seem to have a liking for older candidates.
for one's liking
- To suit one’s taste or wishes: he is a little too showy for my likingMore example sentences
- The wings appeared to be charred but tasted all right for my liking.
- I also ate one of Benedict's frog's legs which was a bit heavy on the cumin for my liking - unless that's what frog's legs taste of.
- He gave the over all impression of someone who had tasted something much too sour for his liking.
to one's liking
- To one’s taste; pleasing: his coffee was just to his likingMore example sentences
- Councillors are not above the law but must follow the rules like anyone else, even when the taste is not to their liking.
- Mix ice cream, sour cream and whipped cream together and slowly add alcohol to taste, adjusting flavoring to your liking.
- This last possibility also offers the happy side effect of probably ending Martin's career as Liberal leader, clearing the way for a visionary leader more to our liking.
Words that rhyme with likingViking
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.