Definition of lily-white in English:
1Pure or ideally white.
- The girl was soft, lily-white, as pure and chaste as they came.
- A swan is also not quite as lily-white as you'd expect - he has some black feathers and a little bit of accumulated grime.
- One of the students who did not leap to attention however, was sitting in the furthest corner at a paper-strewn desk, her head was lazily propped upon one slim lily-white hand which rested just beneath her pointy chin.
1.1Without fault or corruption; totally innocent or immaculate: they want me to conform, to be lily-white
More example sentences
- They were all pretty much at least 18 by then, and apparently weren't all lily-white like their reputations would have you believe.
- It was always guaranteed to set Lo off, despite his claim to have lily-white hands).
- Were they concerned by Graham's less than lily-white reputation when it comes to financial propriety?
Definition of lily-white in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia