Definition of lily-white in English:
1Pure or ideally white.
- The girl was soft, lily-white, as pure and chaste as they came.
- A swan is also not quite as lily-white as you'd expect - he has some black feathers and a little bit of accumulated grime.
- One of the students who did not leap to attention however, was sitting in the furthest corner at a paper-strewn desk, her head was lazily propped upon one slim lily-white hand which rested just beneath her pointy chin.
1.1Without fault or corruption; totally innocent or immaculate: they want me to conform, to be lily-white
More example sentences
- They were all pretty much at least 18 by then, and apparently weren't all lily-white like their reputations would have you believe.
- It was always guaranteed to set Lo off, despite his claim to have lily-white hands).
- Were they concerned by Graham's less than lily-white reputation when it comes to financial propriety?
Definition of lily-white in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.