Definition of limonite in English:
An amorphous brownish secondary mineral consisting of a mixture of hydrous ferric oxides, important as an iron ore.
- The phenakite is also associated with albite, limonite, smoky quartz, and topaz and is often overlooked because it resembles quartz.
- This crystal was glassy and was found associated with smoky quartz, microcline-perthite, biotite, zircon, bastnasite, and limonite after siderite.
- The associated minerals are not remarkable on the specimens; only limonite and some secondary lead minerals form in the matrix.
- Example sentences
- Lovering, Tweto, and Lovering stated that dark yellow jarosite is an abundant constituent of the limonitic and ocherous materials in the oxidized orebodies, where it is mixed with iron oxides.
- It is translucent green and forms a botryoidal layer less than 1 cm thick on a hard limonitic matrix.
- Bed 4 comprised medium grey fossiliferous mudstone with limonitic ooids and phosphatic nodules.
Definition of limonite in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan