Definition of limousine in English:
- The noise grows louder and she is blinded by the headlights of a black limousine, which is hurtling towards her.
- The Defendant engaged in frequent and expensive foreign travel with his wife, went out to numerous restaurants, and made lavish use of chauffeur driven limousines all at the Company's expense.
- Some were driven in black limousines with mirrored windows and no registration plates.
- They were met on the airport apron by a fleet of coaches and limousines which carried them across the border to Castle Leslie.
- Audi made the well-intentioned mistake of taking us from and to the airport in flagship A8 limousines, not one of which rode as well as this.
- In a limousine leaving the airport, agent and client spoke for five or six minutes.
Early 20th century: from French, feminine adjective meaning 'of Limousin', originally denoting a caped cloak worn in Limousin: the car originally had a roof that protected the outside driving seat.
In French a limousine was a cloak with a cape, of a type worn in Limousin, a region of central France. People saw a resemblance between this distinctive garment and early forms of motor car in which the driver's seat was outside in a separate compartment covered with a canopy. The name, first recorded shortly after 1900, passed to large, luxurious cars driven by a chauffeur separated from the passengers by a partition. The word was abbreviated to limo in the 1960s, while in the 1980s the stretch limo made its appearance.
Words that rhyme with limousineAberdeen, Amin, aquamarine, baleen, bean, been, beguine, Benin, between, canteen, careen, Claudine, clean, contravene, convene, cuisine, dean, Dene, e'en, eighteen, fascine, fedayeen, fifteen, figurine, foreseen, fourteen, Francine, gean, gene, glean, gombeen, green, Greene, Halloween, intervene, Janine, Jean, Jeannine, Jolene, Kean, keen, Keene, Ladin, langoustine, latrine, lean, machine, Maclean, magazine, Malines, margarine, marine, Mascarene, Massine, Maxine, mean, Medellín, mesne, mien, Moline, moreen, mujahedin, Nadine, nankeen, Nazarene, Nene, nineteen, nougatine, obscene, palanquin, peen, poteen, preen, quean, Rabin, Racine, ramin, ravine, routine, Sabine, saltine, sardine, sarin, sateen, scene, screen, seen, serene, seventeen, shagreen, shebeen, sheen, sixteen, spleen, spring-clean, squireen, Steen, submarine, supervene, tambourine, tangerine, teen, terrine, thirteen, transmarine, treen, tureen, Tyrrhene, ultramarine, umpteen, velveteen, wean, ween, Wheen, yean
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.