noun (plural linesmen)
- (In games played on a field or court) an official who assists the referee or umpire from the sideline, especially in deciding on whether the ball is out of play.More example sentences
- Gerrard's just been fouled making for the penalty area, but the referee and the linesman are having none of it.
- Under advice from the linesman, the referee awards a free-kick to AC Milan about 40 yards out for no apparent reason.
- Both referee Dunn and his linesman missed the contact and Henry was furious.
More definitions of linesmanDefinition of linesman in:
- The British & World English dictionary