Definition of lingulate in English:
adjectiveBotany & Zoology
- The electrical terminals are mounted on the receptacle base and extend into the lingulate board.
1.1 Zoology Denoting a type of burrowing brachiopod with an inarticulate shell and a long pedicle.
- In the course of our investigations into Ordovician lingulate brachiopod faunas from such limestone residues, we have recovered occasional specimens of small ‘hat-like’ phosphatic plates of enigmatic affinities.
- This fauna and those described previously from older Utah strata document the biodiversification of the Cambrian-Ordovician lingulate brachiopods and demonstrate their potential for regional and intercontinental correlation.
- A new species of the poorly known lingulate brachiopod Schizobolus is described from the Famennian of Poland.
mid 19th century: from Latin lingulatus, based on lingua 'tongue', from lingere 'to lick'.
Definition of lingulate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan