Definition of linoleic acid in English:
A polyunsaturated fatty acid present as a glyceride in linseed oil and other oils and essential in the human diet.
- Chemical formula: C17H31COOH
- Unsaturated fats and oils containing high levels of linoleic acid, a polyunsaturated fatty acid, have been regarded as specifically beneficial to the cardiovascular system in contrast to saturated fats.
- Surprisingly, perhaps, the polyunsaturated fatty acids, linoleic acid and arachadonic acid, appeared to be higher in absolute terms.
- The essential fatty acid linoleic acid is also included in the intercellular lipid complex.
- Example sentences
- The main fatty acids labelled were palmitate, oleate, linoleate, and linolenate.
- The contribution reflects the compensation of the negative charges of the linoleate by the positive ions and by the changed orientational behavior of the headgroup dipole.
- They would thus be able to promote the negative surface charge originally caused by the linoleate molecules.
Definition of linoleic acid in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia