- Any of a class of organic compounds that are fatty acids or their derivatives and are insoluble in water but soluble in organic solvents. They include many natural oils, waxes, and steroids.More example sentences
- The membrane lipids of thermophilic bacteria are rich in saturated fatty acids.
- Alkaloids, phenols, antioxidants and lipids were never detected.
- It includes the glycerol and carbonyl groups and the hydrocarbon chains of the lipid.
early 20th century: from French lipide, based on Greek lipos 'fat'.
More definitions of lipidDefinition of lipid in:
- The British & World English dictionary