- A composition from which the writer systematically omits a certain letter or certain letters of the alphabet.More example sentences
- An example of their practice is the lipogram, which is a text from which one or more letters of the alphabet have been excluded.
- The lipogram ‘to be or not to be, that's the problem’ has the requisite ten syllables but loses the force of the terrifying eleven-syllable original.
- Ernest Vincent Wright accomplished the latter feat back in 1939 with his epic lipogram Gadsby, and it took him about five months, whereas I just caved instantly to my basest critical instincts.
early 18th century: back-formation from Greek lipogrammatos 'lacking a letter', from lip- (stem of leipein 'to leave (out)') + gramma 'letter'.
More definitions of lipogramDefinition of lipogram in:
- The British & World English dictionary