(also lychee or lichee)
Definition of litchi in English:
1A small rounded fruit with sweet white scented flesh, a large central stone, and a thin rough skin. Also called litchi nut when dried.
- To follow, I would make the most of those papaya, lychees and passion fruit that are looking so good this month.
- Based only on my experiences at The City Bakery, lychees are my favorite fruit - and they're not even a fruit!
- So if you crave something sweet, try its opulent fruit salad loaded with kiwi, mango, pineapple, grapes and strawberries or tinned lychees (the only fruit that is arguably as good tinned as fresh).
2The Chinese tree that bears the litchi fruit.
- Nephelium litchi (or Litchi chinensis), family Sapindaceae
- In the lush green foothills above town, I'd found every incline, even a slope that seemed too steep to climb, cultivated with longan, lychee, pineapple, betel nut or banana.
- ‘Collecting, preserving, and classifying lychee and longan trees is especially critical,’ Zee emphasizes.
- ‘The lychee and longan industry in Hawaii is still quite small, with just a few farms and some productive backyard trees,’ she says.
late 16th century: from Chinese lìzhī.
Definition of litchi in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia