The rigid outer part of the earth, consisting of the crust and upper mantle.
- An alternative to an active mantle thermal anomaly is greater stretching of the mantle lithosphere than the crust.
- We attribute base level changes to the influence of the proto-Iceland mantle plume beneath the lithosphere, providing support until continental break-up west of the Faroe Islands.
- After new oceanic crust forms, the lithosphere cools and thickens as it moves away from the ocean ridge.
- Example sentences
- Mineral compositions vary as magmas evolve in sub-volcanic, lithospheric magma chambers by assimilation and differentiation.
- They are interpreted to have been derived from subduction modified lithospheric and asthenospheric mantle sources.
- These features of the Moine succession are instead most consistent with accumulation in a regionally extensive shallow marine basin formed during subsidence following initial lithospheric thinning.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of lithosphere in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.