A treatment, typically using ultrasound shock waves, by which a kidney stone or other calculus is broken into small particles that can be passed out by the body.
More example sentences
- Mechanical percussion techniques have been used therapeutically after shock wave lithotripsy to dislodge such calculi from the lower pole of the kidney.
- Such procedures include magnetic resonance imaging, which is often used to evaluate internal organs, and extracorporeal shock-wave lithotripsy, which uses shock waves to break up large kidney stones.
- For proximal ureteric stones, shock wave lithotripsy is useful if the stone is less than 1 cm in size, and ureteroscopy is more successful for stones larger than 1 cm.
- More example sentences
- They were delighted when they were able to break up the stone with the electrohydraulic lithotriptor.
- Large or hard stones can be crushed with a mechanical lithotripter.
- Maybe the atropine, lithotriptors and triggers are for something else entirely.
Definition of lithotripsy in:
- The British & World English dictionary