- In the United States, there's a great shortage of donor organs: hearts, livers, lungs, kidneys, pancreases and small intestines.
- Subsequent CT scans of the chest and abdomen revealed the liver, pancreas, and renal cysts unchanged.
- Approximately 88,000 people are on the national organ transplant waiting list, waiting for kidneys, livers, pancreases, intestines, hearts and lungs.
- Gene-disrupting pesticide residues have penetrated the livers of animals at the poles of the planet and in the depths of the oceans.
- Brains and livers from these trained animals were ground up and injected into untrained rats.
- He and his party spent an Arctic winter in hope of rescue but they all died and the cause of death was thought to be the vitamin A in the animals' livers.
- If you suspect you're not getting enough iron, boost your intake with foods like lean red meat, liver, spinach, and apricots.
- It is by appointment to the Queen and does a huge mail-order range, from calves' liver to French Loue chicken.
- As the vegetables are whisked away a platter of crostini spread with chicken liver pate arrives, but that is not the special part.
- Well, it's very pale and it should be like a real liver, dark red colour, you see.
The liver’s main role is in the processing of the products of digestion into substances useful to the body. It also neutralizes harmful substances in the blood, secretes bile for the digestion of fats, synthesizes plasma proteins, and stores glycogen and some minerals and vitamins. It was anciently supposed to be the seat of love and violent emotion
Old English lifer, of Germanic origin; related to German Leber, Dutch lever.