noun (plural same or lizardfishes)
- A fish of lizardlike appearance with a broad bony head, pointed snout, and heavy shiny scales. It lives in warm shallow seas, where it often rests on the bottom propped up on its pelvic fins.
More example sentences
- Family Synodontidae: several genera and species, including the widespread Trachinocephalus myops (also called snakefish)
- This consists of killifishes, herrings, sardines, gobies, silversides, anchovies small mullets, and lizardfishes to name a few.
- Fishy attractions include huge scorpionfish, lionfish, lots of lizardfish, triggerfish and surgeons and many different wrasse varieties.
- This went much the same producing loads of yellowfin croaker, grunts, sea breams and weird looking lizardfish that were well named.
More definitions of lizardfishDefinition of lizardfish in:
- The British & World English dictionary