Definition of lizardfish in English:
noun (plural same or lizardfishes)
A fish of lizardlike appearance with a broad bony head, pointed snout, and heavy shiny scales. It lives in warm shallow seas, where it often rests on the bottom propped up on its pelvic fins.
- Family Synodontidae: several genera and species, including the widespread Trachinocephalus myops (also called snakefish)
- This consists of killifishes, herrings, sardines, gobies, silversides, anchovies small mullets, and lizardfishes to name a few.
- Fishy attractions include huge scorpionfish, lionfish, lots of lizardfish, triggerfish and surgeons and many different wrasse varieties.
- This went much the same producing loads of yellowfin croaker, grunts, sea breams and weird looking lizardfish that were well named.
Definition of lizardfish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.