Definition of lizardfish in English:
noun (plural same or lizardfishes)
A fish of lizardlike appearance with a broad bony head, pointed snout, and heavy shiny scales. It lives in warm shallow seas, where it often rests on the bottom propped up on its pelvic fins.
- Family Synodontidae: several genera and species, including the widespread Trachinocephalus myops (also called snakefish)
- This consists of killifishes, herrings, sardines, gobies, silversides, anchovies small mullets, and lizardfishes to name a few.
- Fishy attractions include huge scorpionfish, lionfish, lots of lizardfish, triggerfish and surgeons and many different wrasse varieties.
- This went much the same producing loads of yellowfin croaker, grunts, sea breams and weird looking lizardfish that were well named.
Definition of lizardfish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan