Definition of lobe in English:
1A roundish and flattish part of something, typically each of two or more such parts divided by a fissure, and often projecting or hanging. See also earlobe.
- The sturgeon tail behaves mechanically as an extremely flexible sheet with flexible dorsal and ventral lobes following the central tail region.
- Lung transplantations may involve two lungs, a single lung, or a lobe of a lung (the lungs are divided into lobes, three in the right lung and two on the left).
- The heart-lung block was removed, and the transplanted left lung and native right lung were divided into three lobes on each side.
1.1Each of the parts of the cerebrum of the brain.
- The rearmost of the four lobes is the occipital lobe, but there is no sulcus to define its limit on the lateral surface.
- He had a basal skull fracture, lacerations to his scalp, facial abrasions and contusions to both frontal cerebral lobes.
- What I've hopefully done is lit a spark in your brains that'll burn a tunnel from your prefrontal lobes to your medulla oblongata.
- Example sentences
- The nervous system consists of a lobed dorsal brain and ventral nerve cord with fused paired ganglia.
- If the pinnae or segments are lobed, the embayments are known as sinuses.
- Real leaf outlines may also be, for example, lobed or extended at the lamina base.
Words that rhyme with lobedaube, enrobe, globe, Job, probe, robe, strobe
Definition of lobe in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.