Definition of local time in English:
1Time as reckoned in a particular region or time zone.
- The candlelit vigils began Sunday night in New Zealand and circled the world, starting at 7 p.m. local time, in each time zone.
- This allows the spacecraft to pass over different regions of Earth at the same local time.
- We translate the UTC reference time to our local time by adding or subtracting the hours that correspond to our time zone.
1.1Time at a particular place as measured from the sun’s transit over the meridian at that place, defined as noon.
- Cassini's tables of Jupiter's moons were used to determine longitudes by providing a universal time with which to compare the local time at various positions on the Earth.
- For longitude, Hipparchus proposed a zero meridian through Rhodes, with east/west distances from this line determined by comparing the local time of a place with an absolute time.
- The dog, wherever in the world its ship was at that moment, would then obligingly yelp and the mariner could then note the local time and so find his longitude.
Definition of local time in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.