- A spiny Caribbean tree of the pea family, the dark heartwood of which yields hematoxylin and other dyes.
More example sentences
- Haematoxylon campechianum, family Leguminosae
- The early settlers were attracted by the logwood, from which was extracted dyes used by the Lancashire cotton industry.
- On land, they plundered logwood, a tree used to produce a dye used in the woolen industry.
- The region was a habitat for logwood, a species of small tree found in parts of the southwestern Caribbean that was most commonly used to make a black dye.
More definitions of logwoodDefinition of logwood in:
- The British & World English dictionary