1Stand or wait around idly or without apparent purpose: she saw Mary loitering near the cloakrooms
More example sentences
- My only other complaint was the over-attentive waiters, who always seemed to be loitering somewhere nearby, waiting for something to happen or checking that everything was fine.
- It turns out Risaku's mere hunch became reality and an assassin stood there, loitering in the doorway.
- You're standing here loitering about in a very suspicious manner.
linger, wait, skulk;
loaf, lounge, idle, laze, waste time, lollygag
informal hang around
1.1Travel indolently and with frequent pauses: they loitered along in the sunshine, stopping at the least excuse
- Example sentences
- They look for odd or suspicious behavior: heavy clothes on a hot day, loiterers without luggage, anyone observing security methods.
- Occasionally some loiterers try to bum a cigarette or an argument breaks out.
- One option may be to play classical music at the station in a bid to deter loiterers.
Late Middle English: perhaps from Middle Dutch loteren 'wag around'.
Words that rhyme with loiterexploiter, goitre (US goiter), reconnoitre (US reconnoiter), Reuter
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.