An edible juicy fruit from a plant related to the litchi, cultivated in Southeast Asia.
- The plant is Dimocarpus longan, family Sapindaceae
More example sentences
- The city features six fruits - lemon, lychee, banana, longan, pomelo and pineapple - and three flowers - narcissus, camellia and orchid.
- This turned out to be a Chocolate Fondue with bananas, rambutans, longans and pineapple in separate containers alongside.
- Grains and beans such as wheat, sticky rice, peas and soybean are recommended for attaining this therapeutic benefit, while oranges, litchi and longans are said to be the most effective fruits.
mid 18th century: from Chinese lóngyǎn, literally 'dragon's eye'.
Definition of longan in:
- The British & World English dictionary