Definition of loosestrife in English:
Any of various tall plants that bear upright spikes of flowers.
- ● Several plants of the genus Lythrum (family Lythraceae), in particular the purple loosestrife (L. salicaria) of the Old World, now well established in North America. ● Several yellow-flowered plants of the genus Lysimachia (family Primulaceae), in particular the garden loosestrife (L. vulgaris) of Eurasia and North America.
- Purple loosestrife can grow to 3-9 feet tall with several, square stalks per plant.
- Wildflowers here include water parsnip, fringed loosestrife, and hedge nettle.
- Purple loosestrife will grow vigorously and clog irrigation canals, ditches, stream banks and reservoirs, resulting in less water available for crop production and recreation.
Definition of loosestrife in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan