Definition of loosestrife in English:
Any of various tall plants that bear upright spikes of flowers.
- ● Several plants of the genus Lythrum (family Lythraceae), in particular the purple loosestrife (L. salicaria) of the Old World, now well established in North America. ● Several yellow-flowered plants of the genus Lysimachia (family Primulaceae), in particular the garden loosestrife (L. vulgaris) of Eurasia and North America.
- Purple loosestrife can grow to 3-9 feet tall with several, square stalks per plant.
- Wildflowers here include water parsnip, fringed loosestrife, and hedge nettle.
- Purple loosestrife will grow vigorously and clog irrigation canals, ditches, stream banks and reservoirs, resulting in less water available for crop production and recreation.
Definition of loosestrife in:
- British & World English dictionary