- Run or move with a long bounding stride: the dog was loping along by his side (as adjective loping) a loping strideMore example sentences
- As I was driving to work this morning, I passed a very large black dog loping along the pavement.
- It was a big shaggy thing loping along the side of the road.
- The nursery teacher is still trying to come to terms with having a big, dark coloured cat loping along the side of her car.
noun[in singular] Back to top
- A long bounding stride: they set off at a fast lopeMore example sentences
- He warned her, before he went from standing still to a fast lope.
- She swung up into the saddle, and nudged the chestnut into a fast lope.
- I broke into a lope, strides consuming the gap between us.
Middle English: variant of Scots loup, from Old Norse hlaupa 'leap'.