Definition of lophodont in English:
1(Of molar teeth) having transverse ridges on the grinding surfaces, characteristic of some ungulates.
- Thus they tend to revert to the trigonid form, but without cusps, so that the work is done by curved ridges: lophodont dentition.
- The morphology of its lophodont molars indicates that Karagalax is a tapiromorph, and it is here included in the primitive family Isectolophidae.
- Lophodont teeth have elongated ridges called lophs that run between cusps.
1.1(Of an ungulate) having teeth with transverse ridges on the grinding surfaces.
- Bulungamayine kangaroos are thus rival candidates for the role of ancestors of modern, lophodont kangaroos.
- Modern species are lophodont (complexly so in equids), in contrast to artiodactyls, which tend to be selenodont or bunodont.
Definition of lophodont in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan