Definition of lophodont in English:
1(Of molar teeth) having transverse ridges on the grinding surfaces, characteristic of some ungulates.
- Thus they tend to revert to the trigonid form, but without cusps, so that the work is done by curved ridges: lophodont dentition.
- The morphology of its lophodont molars indicates that Karagalax is a tapiromorph, and it is here included in the primitive family Isectolophidae.
- Lophodont teeth have elongated ridges called lophs that run between cusps.
1.1(Of an ungulate) having teeth with transverse ridges on the grinding surfaces.
- Bulungamayine kangaroos are thus rival candidates for the role of ancestors of modern, lophodont kangaroos.
- Modern species are lophodont (complexly so in equids), in contrast to artiodactyls, which tend to be selenodont or bunodont.
Definition of lophodont in:
- British & World English dictionary