Definition of lophophorate in English:
Of or relating to small aquatic invertebrates belonging to a group of phyla characterized by the possession of lophophores. They include bryozoans, brachiopods, and phoronids.
- One lophophorate phylum, the brachiopods, has a rich fossil record that dates back 600 Myr and contains more than 12,000 species; today, about 335 species are known.
- Molecular data sets indicate that lophophorate phyla are trochozoans but generally do not support grouping bryozoans with the phoronids and brachiopods.
- Phoronida is a second lophophorate phylum, comprising coelomate, vermiform animals living in chitinous tubes.
nounBack to top
A lophophorate animal.
- The lophotrochozoan clade (defined as all the descendants of the last common ancestor of lophophorates, mollusks, and annelids) is more inclusive than originally suspected.
- Into the early 1990s most researchers and evidence suggested that the deuterostomes were composed of chordates, hemichordates, echinoderms, chaetognaths, and lophophorates.
- However, these two features are common in several different invertebrate phyla: tubular shells occur in, e.g., molluscs, annelids, lophophorates, and egg-shaped embryonic shells in, e.g., molluscs and bryozoans.
Definition of lophophorate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan