Definition of loris in English:
noun (plural lorises)
A small, slow-moving nocturnal primate with a short or absent tail, living in dense vegetation in southern Asia.
- Genera Loris and Nycticebus, family Lorisidae, suborder Prosimii: the slender loris (L. tardigradus) of southern India and Sri Lanka, and the slow loris (genus Nycticebus, two species) of Southeast Asia
- Only in recent decades have prosimians - a suborder of primates that includes lemurs, lorises, bushbabies, and tarsiers - begun to be studied systematically.
- Primate species are gibbons, langurs, lorises and macaques.
- However, some primates such as apes, spider monkeys, and lorises have morphological and behavioral specializations that may enhance efficiency during vertical climbing.
Definition of loris in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan