Definition of lousewort in English:
A partially parasitic herbaceous plant of the figwort family, typically favoring damp habitats. It is native to both Eurasia and North America and was formerly reputed to harbor lice.
- Genus Pedicularis, family Scrophulariaceae: several species, including wood betony (P. canadensis) and swamp lousewort (P. lanceolata)
- Among the common wildflowers are one-flowered cinquefoil, woolly lousewort, alpine willowherb, three saxifrages, and an Indian paintbrush.
- The lousewort grows mostly on north-facing riverbanks because the vegetation is less dense there.
- Leafy lousewort may be found in open coniferous woods or in openings in the forest at timberline.
Definition of lousewort in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan