Definition of love feast in English:
1A feast in token of fellowship among early Christians; an agape.
- It may be that on the occasions they celebrated the Lord's Supper they also had something called a love feast, which would be something like a fellowship dinner.
- Churches began celebrating the Eucharist in the morning and hosting the love feast in the evening.
- Artifacts, pictures, and descriptive material about the love feast will be featured in this extensive exhibit.
1.1A religious service or gathering imitating this, especially among early Methodists.
- We could even recover the love feast from the early church and really start to see eating together as part of our discipleship.
- The love feast was quite different from other religious practices of the day.
- Potluck suppers, soup kitchens, Anabaptist love feasts, fasts to protest war, and youth group pizza parties - all are specific social forms that arose within their own cultural settings as Christians ate together.
Definition of love feast in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan