1A feast in token of fellowship among early Christians; an agape.
- It may be that on the occasions they celebrated the Lord's Supper they also had something called a love feast, which would be something like a fellowship dinner.
- Churches began celebrating the Eucharist in the morning and hosting the love feast in the evening.
- Artifacts, pictures, and descriptive material about the love feast will be featured in this extensive exhibit.
1.1A religious service or gathering imitating this, especially among early Methodists.
- We could even recover the love feast from the early church and really start to see eating together as part of our discipleship.
- The love feast was quite different from other religious practices of the day.
- Potluck suppers, soup kitchens, Anabaptist love feasts, fasts to protest war, and youth group pizza parties - all are specific social forms that arose within their own cultural settings as Christians ate together.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: love feast
Definition of love feast in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.