Definition of lovebird in English:
1A very small African and Madagascan parrot with mainly green plumage and typically a red or black face, noted for the affectionate behavior of mated birds.
- Genus Agapornis, family Psittacidae: several species
- It was a parrot or parakeet or possibly a lovebird.
- However, the coloration of the lovebird in no way affects the quality of the pet.
- When a lovebird dies, its mate just gives up and fades with it.
2 (lovebirds) informal An openly affectionate couple.
- Their daughter Julie said: ‘They have lived in the same house for nearly 50 years and are still a couple of lovebirds and as happy as ever.’
- Not long ago, while I'd stepped into the powder room, a couple of tourist lovebirds occupied my base of operations/corner booth.
- John and Jennifer are a couple of lovebirds on their way to a weekend retreat at a cabin.
Words that rhyme with lovebirdshorebird • bluebird
Definition of lovebird in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan