Definition of lovebird in English:
1A very small African and Madagascan parrot with mainly green plumage and typically a red or black face, noted for the affectionate behavior of mated birds.
- Genus Agapornis, family Psittacidae: several species
- It was a parrot or parakeet or possibly a lovebird.
- However, the coloration of the lovebird in no way affects the quality of the pet.
- When a lovebird dies, its mate just gives up and fades with it.
2 (lovebirds) informal An openly affectionate couple.
- Their daughter Julie said: ‘They have lived in the same house for nearly 50 years and are still a couple of lovebirds and as happy as ever.’
- Not long ago, while I'd stepped into the powder room, a couple of tourist lovebirds occupied my base of operations/corner booth.
- John and Jennifer are a couple of lovebirds on their way to a weekend retreat at a cabin.
Words that rhyme with lovebirdshorebird • bluebird
Definition of lovebird in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.