Definition of low-pitched in English:
1(Of a sound or voice) deep or relatively quiet.
- Our evolutionary fear of certain sounds, such as low-pitched sounds indicating aggression or high-pitched screeches indicating alarm-calls, has been with us for thousands of years.
- They point to research showing that manatees cannot hear the low-pitched sound of slow-moving boats and thus avoid approaching vessels.
- One was a high-pitched sound that resembled a doorbell while the other was a low-pitched sound that gradually increased in pitch.
2(Of a roof) having only a slight slope.
- The roof is low-pitched and small dormer windows are sometimes used.
- The low-pitched roof form was sufficiently high to enable the inclusion of a first-floor cooking school, which overlooks the centre spine.
- Both buildings have low-pitched roofs and overhanging eaves supported by brackets that are typical of the style.
Definition of low-pitched in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia