1(Of a building) having few stories: low-rise apartment blocks
More example sentences
- Cited for improvements at the block scale is a section of Bethesda, Maryland that had been characterized by underused shops, low-rise office buildings, and surface parking lots.
- The shop sits between a cluster of low-rise shops, restaurants and cafés a few blocks from the Royal York subway station.
- People waded across roads in chest-high water in front of their shops and low-rise apartments.
2(Of pants) cut so as to fit low on the hips rather than on the waist.
- He looked me up and down, taking in my low-rise jeans and mid-drift baring black spaghetti strapped shirt.
- She was wearing a bright pink tube top and tight, low-rise jeans.
- I come out of the dressing room with a pair of denim low-rise jeans and a bright yellow tube top.
A building having few stories.
- As the name implies, houses in these areas were usually low-rises and were rather congested, packed closely side by side.
- The new house is closer to the university, and brand new (we're the first people to move in to the building, a low-rise with 10 apartments), and it's much quieter.
- The result was a courtyard-style, 350-room low-rise set in gardens.
Words that rhyme with low-riseadvise, apprise, apprize, arise, assize, capsize, chastise, comprise, demise, despise, devise, downsize, excise, flies, guise, incise, misprize, outsize, previse, prise, prize, remise, revise, rise, size, surmise, surprise, uprise, wise
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of low-rise in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.