- 1A rhombus or diamond shape.More example sentences
- The windows with the lozenge pattern of leading are all found in pictures thought to have been painted in the late 1650s.
- At the left of the screen was a lozenge shape circled in red.
- The English method for dealing with hot boiled ham is to glaze it with brown sugar and mustard or fruit juice, and decorate by scoring the fat in a lozenge pattern and studding it with whole cloves.
- 1.1A small medicinal tablet, originally in the shape of a lozenge, taken for sore throats and dissolved in the mouth: throat lozengesMore example sentences
- But don't give hard candy, cough drops or throat lozenges to children under 4.
- Our medicine cabinets are stocked with throat lozenges, painkillers and antiseptic creams designed to restore us to immediate health after the slightest scratch.
- For a sore throat, try lozenges obtained from your chemist, who is pleased to offer advice.
Middle English: from Old French losenge, probably derived from the base of Spanish losa, Portuguese lousa 'slab', late Latin lausiae (lapides) 'stone slabs'.