- 2A person (especially a taxonomist) who attaches more importance to similarities than to differences in classification. Contrasted with splitter.More example sentences
- Charles Darwin divided taxonomists into lumpers and splitters.
- One sometimes sees the difference between splitters and lumpers presented as one of taste and personality.
- Of course whether a species should be retained in a former genus or placed in a new one is often an arbitrary choice, which brings us to the battle between the splitters and the lumpers.
More definitions of lumperDefinition of lumper in:
- The British & World English dictionary