Definition of lumpfish in English:
noun (plural same or lumpfishes)
A North Atlantic lumpsucker, the roe of which is sometimes used as a substitute for caviar.
- Cyclopterus lumpus, family Cyclopteridae
- Even though 41% of the sampling trips were made during these months, when adjusted for catch per unit of effort, 78% of the juvenile lumpfish were still encountered in July and August.
- Juvenile lumpfish living in tidepools must deal with potential fluctuations of natural prey items between tidal cycles.
- There is a considerable difference between the edibility of male and female; which is why there are separate names for them in countries where the lumpfish is well known, such as Sweden and Iceland.
Words that rhyme with lumpfishlungfish • spearfish
Definition of lumpfish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan