noun (plural same or lumpfishes)
A North Atlantic lumpsucker, the roe of which is sometimes used as a substitute for caviar.
- Cyclopterus lumpus, family Cyclopteridae
More example sentences
- Even though 41% of the sampling trips were made during these months, when adjusted for catch per unit of effort, 78% of the juvenile lumpfish were still encountered in July and August.
- Juvenile lumpfish living in tidepools must deal with potential fluctuations of natural prey items between tidal cycles.
- There is a considerable difference between the edibility of male and female; which is why there are separate names for them in countries where the lumpfish is well known, such as Sweden and Iceland.
Definition of lumpfish in:
- The British & World English dictionary